Expertise combined with deep caring and understanding

Navigating child custody matters in South Carolina involves considerations such as the child’s best interests, parental capabilities, and the specific circumstances of the family. At Harden Law Firm, child custody matters are handled with empathy and delicacy. We care deeply about sparing children the stress and upset of the painful and confusing situations that often arise during the process.

How to Get Child Custody in Fort Mill

Working with a child custody lawyer in South Carolina is essential in providing guidance based on your specific situation and help you understand your rights and options.  It’s crucial to work closely with a qualified family law attorney throughout this process to ensure that your rights are protected and you understand the legal implications of each step. Every case is unique, and an attorney can provide personalized advice based on the details of your situation.

Why Work With a Child Custody Specialist in Fort Mill

Our team at Harden Law Firm is skilled in every aspect of custodial law, no matter how complex, and will work with you and your family to create living situations that help bring everyone involved peace of mind. Whether through mediation, discussing custody types or modification requests, we are with you every step of the way.


How is child custody determined in South Carolina?

Child custody in South Carolina is determined based on the best interests of the child. The court considers various factors, including the child’s preferences, the parents’ ability to meet the child’s needs, the child’s adjustment to home and school, and more.

You file for custody by filing a Summons and Complaint to begin a Family Court case and asking the Court to grant the relief you are seeking. Filing a Summons and Complaint is not as simple as it sounds, but it is how a Family Court case begins.

Sometimes.  Generally the police do not enforce Family Court orders.  Contempt of court is how the Court enforces its Orders.  Law enforcement is unable to determine whose weekend is whose or when the child was with the other parent last.  It’s really not their job to do that.  Law enforcement will generally not get involved in custody unless there is some extenuating circumstance.

If your child’s other parent is not following the Court order, you can file a Rule to Show Cause which is a document filed with the Court saying someone has violated the order and should have to come to Court to explain why they should not be held in contempt of court.

Custody cases can drag on for months, even more than a year sometimes.  If the parties agree, the time is often much less.  If the parties cannot agree and the case has to be tried, that can cause significant delay. One thing to remember is to be patient.

Yes, child custody can be modified based upon there being a substantial change in circumstances related to the child. Child custody can also be modified based upon mutual agreement.

Harden Law

Client Testimonials

Those who trust us

If your looking for a great lawyer and person that truly cares about your family Harden law Firm is the place to go!!

William C.

Harden Law